Our friends at the New York State Writers Insitute are looking for your submissions for the next edition of Trolley.
The NYSWI is inviting writers, poets, and photographers to express creatively how the COVID-19 pandemic has changed them – “How have you adapted, coped, fallen apart, or grown. How do you choose to remember the pandemic. How do you contextualize a pandemic with words or photos.”
Here are all of the details:
When we put out the call for Trolley submissions last spring, the word “coronavirus” was indeed novel. Since then, we’ve witnessed a path of death and mourning sweep through our cities, towns, nation, and the world.
Last week marked one year since the World Health Organization declared the pandemic. Its effect on our society is both immeasurable and quantifiable: 2.5 million dead worldwide, including more than 500,000 in the United States. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s data shows that life expectancy in the U.S. decline by a full year in the first half of 2020 — the worst decline since World War II.
What is Trolley?
Trolley began with an idea from Writers Institute founder William Kennedy, who envisioned an online literary journal published free of charge in which each issue’s words and images related to a single theme.
Call for submissions
A year later, we find the pandemic still casts a shadow over our daily lives, affecting work, the arts, education, and our social fabric.
For our next edition of Trolley, we invite writers, poets, and photographers to express creatively how the COVID-19 pandemic has changed them. How have you adapted, coped, fallen apart, or grown. How do you choose to remember the pandemic. How do you contextualize a pandemic with words or photos.
- We will accept essays, journalism, poetry, narrative nonfiction, fiction, and photography.
- Please limit your submission to 1,500 words.
- You do not need to be a published author to submit.
- We welcome submissions from the UAlbany community as well as the Capital Region community.
- There is no payment nor submission fee. Trolley is published free of charge as a partnership of the NYS Writers Institute, UAlbany, and the community.
- Writers, poets, and photographers retain rights.
- Simultaneous submissions are accepted.
In your email, please include:
- the text of your submission, or attachments (.jpg or .png) for photos,
- attach a photo of yourself,
- a bio, no more than 100 words.
Deadline is Wednesday, April 7, 2021.
Email your submission or any questions to Michael Huber, NYS Writers Institute, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Be sure to check out previous editions of Trolley at https://www.trolleyjournal.com/