Before his death in January 2005 Albany poet & human rights activist Tom Nattell established a fund with the Community Foundation for the Greater Capital Region to provide an annual award to a student-poet at Albany High School for a poem they had written. In 2019 The Tom Nattell Peace Poetry Prize will be awarding 2 prizes of $200. each. The guidelines are listed below. The deadline for submissions is May 10, 2019.
The administrator of the prize is local poet & peace activist Dan Wilcox, & the entries are judged by a member of the Hudson Valley Writers Guild. For more information about the Tom Nattell Peace Poetry Prize please contact Dan Wilcox at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Poetry will be accepted from enrolled students at Albany Hight School, from all grand levels (9 – 12). No student may win the prize more than twice.
- Students may submit up to 3 poems, which should be their own, original work. Students do not have to write a poem specifically for the contest, and are encouraged to submit their best, most characteristic work. The judging for the prize will be based on the merits of the poems submitted.
- Poems should be typed without the student’s name on the poem; students will submit with the poem(s) a separate sheet with their name, address, email address & the titles of the poems submitted.
- Poems may be submitted via email as a single document (such as .doc or .docx), or by regular mail, as described above.
- Poems will be sent to: Dan Wilcox, 280 South Main Ave., Albany, NY 12208.
Email submissions to email@example.com.
- Submissions must be emailed or postmarked by: May 10, 2019